Saturday, September 02, 2006

Grandkids Project day


I had the opportunity of having two of my grandkids over on Friday, Mikey 12 and Kylie 9. It was great fun, since every time they come I try to have projects and keep them creative. My goal is that they remember me as the one that introduced them to their creativity and imagination. I had these fabric crayons,which I have never used before, and some canvas bags so I told them to draw anything and we would transfer the designs to the bags. I told them they could use them for books or for Trick or Treating at Halloween. They both decided to make Trick or Treat bags. They both drew two pictures each and we colored them very good to make sure the design transfered well enough. After we did that I just loved their designs so much I scanned them into the computer and printed their pictures on fabric and we sewed a quilt for them to have up during the holiday. I let them sew the sashing on the squares and then I quilted it in "glow in the dark" thread! Now their scary quilt will glow when the lights go off! Its a great idea for anyone looking for a fast project for kids. I now need to clean up the mess that the whirlwind project day left me with!! My sewing room looks like a bomb hit it, and all of my straight pins are pushed all the way to their heads into each pin cushion, why do kids love to do that??? LOL

7 comments:

marina said...

Yes, my son always pushes the pins way into the pincushion, too. Great idea to scan the drawings and print them out--which came out better, the transferred images or the scanned ones?

Jane LaFazio said...

Diane! GREAT project with your grandkids! the quilt turned out beautifully and I love the whole concept. You should write a query, about the project, to Quilting Arts mag or Martha Stewart. REALLy.
And I'm VERY impressed with your studio. It's beautiful and looks very organized, despite the pincushion!
xo
Jane

Desiree's Designs said...

I just want you all to know that I did'nt clean but just jumped in and started working on the pirate quilt, you should see it now! I am amazed I can work in it, although I find it a place of refuge no matter what stage its in!

jenclair said...

What a delightful quilt--a showcase of their art and an heirloom!

Anonymous said...

I love this story - I'm so glad that I decided to visit both of your blogs today (I am in Washington DC for the weekend and also painted leaves yesterday!). My goal is to also try to work creatively with my grandchildren and although they are all still too young, I need to remember your crayon disegin to fabric technique. I have all of the compnents in place and all of the supplies already in my own sewing room.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful project and a wonderful family heirloom to cherish.

Your grandkids are very blessed to have such a wonderful Mentor Of Creativity!!!

AND THEY ARE QUITE THE ARTISTS THEMSELVES!!!!!

Miriam said...

i remember doing that to my mother's pincushion! now i keep my pins in a small container. nice work space by the way!