Friday, October 14, 2005

Getting ready for Pacific International


Well, tomorrow is the big day, we fly up to Santa Clara, CA for the Pacific International. I am really looking forward to the few days away. We are not only going to check out the quilts but we are on a mission for some key fabric. Cathy is going with me, another avid quilter, she actually teaches many of my quilt patterns. There is also a group of women from our quilt guild going up. Most of them drove up on Wednesday since their classes started on Thursday. This is the quilt that was excepted at the show, it is called Midnight Moves.
I am still plugging away in my torn up sewing room. I managed to sew a few leaves, I tried to incorporate some commercial fabric in with my hand dyes and I am not crazy about that. It really sticks out like a sore thumb, so I am going to try and repaint fabric to get my darkest darks. What fun the process of creation is, just the journey on my design wall is great. I need to cover the boards with flannel or batting, right now I am just using pins. I don't really like the stuff I put up, its a styrofoam board and it tears if the quilt is too heavy. Cathy's husband found something else called homacote which they use to make bulletin boards. It is heavy duty stuff and doesn't tear when pinned too. It is a bit harder to push the pins in but I like it better, we have just had a hard time finding it so far. I am not complaining, mind you, just making an observation and hoping to replace my boards before I have to cover them.

No comments: