Saturday, October 01, 2005

Its all about the fun. This is one of several quilt patterns I sell. I have found that the quilt designing is great fun, where the actual writing the patterns is the hard part. It poses quite a challange to write down everything you do, in a specific order, with exact amounts and have it be easily understood. All of those artsy people know the true work involved when it comes to engaging the other side of our brains. I often pull in my girlfriend who is much better at the technical side of things. Since I am a muralist and artist by profession, designing baby quilts was another good avenue for my creative energy. Often they come from ideas or rooms I have already painted. I often have several quilts going at the same time. Since I get bored easily I find it is better to move to something else when it is not going well. When I finally go back to it I can look at it with fresh eyes and hopefully see the problem. This pattern has been very popular and I have made several samples, another thing that I don't do well, repetition.

I love the challenge of artquilts and refining my technical skills so that I can enter shows. Its hard to decide which I would rather do, patterns or artquilts. They are both so different. I am torn between the two since the biggest problem I have is not having enough time to do it all.

No comments: